Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Barack and Roll!!


I've been imagining this moment for a while. Before coming to London to study, I imagined following the campaign's every move, and rushing into my host family's sitting room while they were knitting or drinking tea or making cottage cheese or whatever it is they do here in England, and screaming "Obama won the nomination!!" only to be met with, "That's nice, dear."

Like my blog, I haven't been able to keep up with the campaign. My homepage on Firefox is NPR.org, and every time I opened the internet I would catch a glimpse of how Clinton was refusing to back down, or how Obama was collecting delegates. This morning during my breakfast, however, I opened Firefox and read the words: "Obama Claims Nomination, Making History". I took a moment and my mind shot back to one-and-a-half years ago I sent Senator Obama a letter asking him to run for president. I got a letter back, no doubt typed up by an aid but most definitely signed by him, saying he appreciated my support and that he and his aids were researching possible presidency-tendencies. It seemed that I wanted him to get the nomination so badly that it would, of course, never happen. But it has happened. Now what?

They should withhold all election results until the next morning. It's a really great (or possible horrible) way to start your day.

No comments: